Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D Is For...

"Damn I Slept A Lot Last Night"

I'm what you would probably call a night owl. I'm the most awake at about 2 am which is when I get my best ideas and am most inspired to write. I love sitting up alone with my cat under a single light in my apartment and reading a book or surfing the web or working on one of my many stories and novels in progress. I always know I should go to sleep earlier than I do, but I just can't help it. If you asked me to go to sleep at 4 in the afternoon, however, I would happily comply.

I'm also not what you would call a morning person. I was once woken up early by a friend in college to go to an early fencing practice and screamed at him to "get the **** out of my room!" I felt horrible and later apologized profusely, but anyone who knows me knows I do not wake up easily or well. My boyfriend has learned this through trial and error. He's a brave soul though because he still tries to get me out of bed in a timely fashion. I both thank him and want to punch him in the face for that.

But last night I was feeling really weird and dizzy. I had to go right from work to one of my clients' shows (which was crazy off the hook by the way - very rock concert meets performance art) and by the time it was over I was so tired I could barely see straight. I made my way home around 9:30 and sat down in my favorite (ok only) chair to watch some tv and surf some net. About an hour later my head was spinning and I couldn't keep my eyes open. I texted my boyfriend that I was going to bed. This morning I found 3 missed texts from him. I passed out at 11 pm and slept straight through 12 hours, arriving late at work this am.

Now this isn't to say I'm not a marathon sleeper. In fact, if sleeping was an Olympic sport I'm pretty sure I'd be a gold medalist. I wonder if that would be a winter or a summer sport... Because I can do it all year round, you guys. I have serious skills. I'm also a pro at napping. I'm pretty sure I was a cat in at least one of my past lives.

What makes last night so weird is that I went to bed so early! I never go to bed that early! That's completely insane for me. I usually fight it, too, when I start to get tired. Like it's a battle I don't want to lose and if I manage to stay up something amazing will happen. Even when I was little my mother told me that I wouldn't go to sleep until 11 pm and slept until 8 am which is crazy for an infant. And when I was a toddler I refused to nap and would stay awake as late at night as possible. Like I was afraid I was going to miss something if I went to bed. I'm pretty sure I thought my parents were bringing out the really cool toys they were hiding from me at night or throwing huge parties or something.

Anyway, I feel a lot better today so maybe last night was just an anomaly. Or I'm getting sick which is an option I can't really deal with right now. So I'm going to go with bizarre Twilight Zone-esque episode instead.

1 comment:

TS Hendrik said...

I'm a lot like that. I don't like to go to sleep till the wee hours.
Every once in awhile I think the body just takes over and demands that a person rests.