Monday, August 15, 2011

What I Did On My Summer Vacation

Anyone who knows me at all is aware that I'm not exactly Ms. Great Outdoors.  So imagine my shock (not to mention the shock of others, including the boyfriend) when I stepped outside of my comfort zone during our recent vacation to the mountains of Maryland.  (Yes, Maryland has mountains).

During the past week I did this:
Note: This isn't me (I would clearly never wear those sandals) but this is what I did.  Except for the part where her hand is on the cable because they specifically told us NOT to do that.  

And I did this:
Note: Also not me.  But I looked just as silly in that vest and helmet.  I also managed not to fall out and I was very proud of myself.

And...I had a really great time doing both!  Especially the zip-lining.  I had always wanted to try that.  I don't have a fear of heights (unless I'm falling from them) and I love that sensation of flying through the air.  I went rock-climbing when I was 17 and I actually liked that as well.  I mean real, outdoors, digging into crevices with your nails rock-climbing.  It was awesome but I don't think I'd ever do it again.  It was seriously painful, but such a rush when I got to the top.  

It seems like in all of these adventure sports you have to look like a tool with the harness, or helmet, or life vest, or whatever it takes to keep you safe. I'm willing to over look that in these cases.

What made these experiences even better was the fact that after I was done I could go home to a nice house with indoor plumbing, take a hot shower, and then go out to a restaurant for dinner, knowing all the while that there was a soft bed waiting for me to sleep in.

Just because I like these adventurous activities does NOT mean I have changed my mind about camping in the slightest.  Don't be fooled.

4 comments:

Joanne said...

Oh my Gosh we'll be doing that next year! You are one brave woman!I hope I don't chicken out!
Blessings, Joanne

Unknown said...

fabulous! i approve of your thrill seeking activities. (and i support your non-camping stand. b/c not all of technology is problematic: namely the ability to build permanent shelter with indoor plumbing is a FABULOUS improvement from the tent and digging a hole)

Missed Periods said...

You need to come out with a line of stylish river rafting helmets.

Liz said...

If I can do this ANYONE can! Seriously. And a line of stylish rafting helmets (and vests! why not!) is a genius idea.